Searching \ for '[OnT] I have a project idea...' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: massmind.org/techref/index.htm?key=project+idea
Search entire site for: 'I have a project idea...'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OnT] I have a project idea...'
1999\07\08@055323 by Tim Hamel

picon face
Hi Everyone,

I think this is the first time I'm giving to the list instead of taking --
which I feel guilty about now and then <g>. I'm going to be doing a project
with a PIC (16C84) and an ADC0831 (actually, TLC0831, but they're the same)
for simple data acquisition. It will have an LCD screen for output and
adjustable update intervals. It's not much, but it's something to learn
about. Anyways, I'm wanting to know if anyone else is interested in this. If
so, I'll make up a web page (with pictures, schematics, etc) to describe how
to construct it. Anyone that's interested could drop me a line, or post it to
the list -- althought, I'm sure Mark would rather you sent it to me directly
=)

Tim Hamel

1999\07\08@102507 by hmiller

picon face
Tim Hamel wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I think this is the first time I'm giving to the list instead of taking --
> which I feel guilty about now and then <g>. I'm going to be doing a project
> with a PIC (16C84) and an ADC0831 (actually, TLC0831, but they're the same)
> for simple data acquisition. It will have an LCD screen for output and
> adjustable update intervals. It's not much, but it's something to learn
> about. Anyways, I'm wanting to know if anyone else is interested in this. If
> so, I'll make up a web page (with pictures, schematics, etc) to describe how
> to construct it. Anyone that's interested could drop me a line, or post it to
> the list -- althought, I'm sure Mark would rather you sent it to me directly
> =)
>
> Tim Hamel
===========================

Tim

I would certainly be interested in this project. Let us know when it's
ready to view.

Harley L. Miller     spam_OUThmillerTakeThisOuTspamsound.net

1999\07\17@055636 by root

flavicon
face
Hi,

would not be easier to use a 16C7x - i.e. a PIC with built-in A/D? They
works fine and they are cheaper on balance.

Imre


On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Tim Hamel wrote:

{Quote hidden}

1999\07\17@160402 by Tim Hamel

picon face
I agree, I'm sure it would be easier. But using an external ADC exhibits the
use of a 3-wire bus. It's mainly an example (in a way) for the newbies.

Tim H.

In a message dated 7/17/99 2:57:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
.....rootKILLspamspam@spam@PROF.PMMF.HU writes:

> Hi,
>
>  would not be easier to use a 16C7x - i.e. a PIC with built-in A/D? They
>  works fine and they are cheaper on balance.
>
>  Imre

1999\07\23@131720 by Alessio Morale

flavicon
face
I'm planning to do something similar using
a MAX186 8ch 12bit serial ADC, a lcd display, a serial interface to PC and a
lm35 temp trasducer to employ as a serial aquisition module capable also to
display messages to the operator.

{Original Message removed}

1999\07\23@170430 by Tim Hamel

picon face
Darn, I hate competition =) (kididing) I was using a MAX187 (12-bit,
single-channel) before I switched over to ADC0831. Maybe we can swap
ideas/tips. Only thing mine will lack is a serial interface...unless I tap
into he route between the PIC and the ADC, hmm...<g>

Tim Hamel


In a message dated 7/23/99 10:18:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
alemoralespamKILLspamQSCONSUL.IT writes:

> I'm planning to do something similar using
>  a MAX186 8ch 12bit serial ADC, a lcd display, a serial interface to PC and
a
>  lm35 temp trasducer to employ as a serial aquisition module capable also to
>  display messages to the operator.

1999\07\26@043747 by Ravi Pailoor

flavicon
face
part 0 1093 bytes content-type:text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" (decoded 7bit)

Pailoor

Tim Hamel wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
Website : http://business.vsnl.com/chiptech


Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: Card for Ravi Pailoor
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="vcard.vcf"

Attachment converted: wonderland:vcard.vcf (TEXT/CSOm) (0000AA00)

1999\07\26@044409 by Tim Hamel

picon face
In a message dated 7/26/99 1:38:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
EraseMEchiptechspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTVSNL.COM writes:

> I use AD 7705 ( 16 bit, sigma-delta, 2 channel differential input ) with a
> PIC to
>  communicate with a PC. It works great :-)

Ahh...but mine is more meant for the field than near a PC. If I had chosen to
a TLC0832 (from TI), then I coud have differential inputs and two channels
also. But...I wanna keep things as simple as possible yet still be able to
learn from it.

Tim Hamel

1999\07\26@091749 by Ravi Pailoor

flavicon
face
part 0 1663 bytes content-type:text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" (decoded 7bit)

I have 70 modules each having RS232 and RS485 drivers, 16C63, DAC 1220,  AD7705
and 24LC08. The modules control the current fed to a electro plating rectifier i
n
7 banks of 10 each.  The settable current is from 1 Amp to 50 Amps. The non
linearity of the rectifier responce is taken care by calibration and the values
are stores in the SEEPROM.

These 70 modules spread over 100 meters are connected to a master controller
based on Z80 which in turn is connected to a PLC.

The PLC sends group commands to the Z80 system and the Z80 in turn sends and
receives data to and from the 70 modules.
It is working well in the noisy field environment.

Now this module has become a building block for various industrial applications.

Pailoor

Tim Hamel wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Website : http://business.vsnl.com/chiptech


Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: Card for Ravi Pailoor
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="vcard.vcf"

Attachment converted: wonderland:vcard.vcf 1 (TEXT/CSOm) (0000AA11)

1999\07\26@162832 by Tim Hamel

picon face
Oh no....that just sucked every ounce of will power to do this outta me <g>
(kidding)
Your app sounds VERY interesting. All I gotta do is improve the idea. Oh, one
last thing, what I'm doing is for more of a hobby than a job. I still need to
finish high school!

Tim Hamel

In a message dated 7/26/99 6:18:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
@spam@chiptechKILLspamspamVSNL.COM writes:

{Quote hidden}

controller
>  based on Z80 which in turn is connected to a PLC.
>
>  The PLC sends group commands to the Z80 system and the Z80 in turn sends
and
>  receives data to and from the 70 modules.
>  It is working well in the noisy field environment.
>
>  Now this module has become a building block for various industrial
> applications.
>
>  Pailoor

1999\07\27@193223 by Eric Oliver

flavicon
face
Ravi,

I was just researching RS485 chips.  What chip do you recommend ?

Eric

On Monday, July 26, 1999 7:41 AM, Ravi Pailoor [SMTP:KILLspamchiptechKILLspamspamVSNL.COM] wrote:
> My application is as follows.
>
> I have 70 modules each having RS232 and RS485 drivers, 16C63, DAC 1220,  AD770
5
> and 24LC08. The modules control the current fed to a electro plating rectifier
in
{Quote hidden}

s.
>

1999\07\28@024236 by Ravi Pailoor

flavicon
face
part 0 1653 bytes content-type:text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" (decoded 7bit)

I use 75176 ( national / texas ) and it works great. Maxim chips have better fea
tures
but availablity and costs are prohibitive in India.

Pailoor

Eric Oliver wrote:

> Ravi,
>
> I was just researching RS485 chips.  What chip do you recommend ?
>
> Eric
>
> On Monday, July 26, 1999 7:41 AM, Ravi Pailoor [SMTP:RemoveMEchiptechTakeThisOuTspamVSNL.COM] wrote:
> > My application is as follows.
> >
> > I have 70 modules each having RS232 and RS485 drivers, 16C63, DAC 1220,  AD7
705
> > and 24LC08. The modules control the current fed to a electro plating rectifi
er in
> > 7 banks of 10 each.  The settable current is from 1 Amp to 50 Amps. The non
> > linearity of the rectifier responce is taken care by calibration and the val
ues
> > are stores in the SEEPROM.
> >
> > These 70 modules spread over 100 meters are connected to a master controller
> > based on Z80 which in turn is connected to a PLC.
> >
> > The PLC sends group commands to the Z80 system and the Z80 in turn sends and
> > receives data to and from the 70 modules.
> > It is working well in the noisy field environment.
> >
> > Now this module has become a building block for various industrial applicati
ons.
> >

--
Website : http://business.vsnl.com/chiptech


Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: Card for Ravi Pailoor
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="vcard.vcf"

Attachment converted: wonderland:vcard.vcf 2 (TEXT/CSOm) (0000AD35)

1999\07\28@033915 by root

flavicon
face
Hi,

I recommend SN75176. Cheap, simple to handle, etc.
Imre


On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Eric Oliver wrote:

> Ravi,
>
> I was just researching RS485 chips.  What chip do you recommend ?
>
> Eric
>
> On Monday, July 26, 1999 7:41 AM, Ravi Pailoor [SMTP:spamBeGonechiptechspamBeGonespamVSNL.COM] wrote:
> > My application is as follows.
> >
> > I have 70 modules each having RS232 and RS485 drivers, 16C63, DAC 1220,  AD7
705
> > and 24LC08. The modules control the current fed to a electro plating rectifi
er in
> > 7 banks of 10 each.  The settable current is from 1 Amp to 50 Amps. The non
> > linearity of the rectifier responce is taken care by calibration and the val
ues
> > are stores in the SEEPROM.
> >
> > These 70 modules spread over 100 meters are connected to a master controller
> > based on Z80 which in turn is connected to a PLC.
> >
> > The PLC sends group commands to the Z80 system and the Z80 in turn sends and
> > receives data to and from the 70 modules.
> > It is working well in the noisy field environment.
> >
> > Now this module has become a building block for various industrial applicati
ons.
> >
>
>

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...