Searching \ for '[PIC] Can't assemble?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: massmind.org/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Can't assemble?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Can't assemble?'
2008\04\13@205446 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
Ooookay...I need a sanity check. I'm trying to assemble the following
file: www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/devel/vwcdpic-2.7d/vwcdpic-2.7d.asm
- if you click the link you need to agree to the GPL licence on this
code and sign in using username "I" and password "agree".

Anyway, it's been awhile since I've compiled a complete file like this
from somewhere else and I'm running up against a rather hard brick
wall. I used the project wizard, creating a new MPASM project and
targeting the correct processor. I add my .asm file, try to
assemble...and get "DOS Error: File not found". Behind that popup
looks to be the MPASM window stuck on "Building symbol table...".

That's the only error I get, not super helpful. So...does anyone have
any ideas as to why I can't get this simple file to work?

Frustrating!

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
-Douglas Adams

2008\04\13@213247 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 08:54 PM 4/13/2008, you wrote:
>Ooookay...I need a sanity check. I'm trying to assemble the following
>file: www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/devel/vwcdpic-2.7d/vwcdpic-2.7d.asm
>- if you click the link you need to agree to the GPL licence on this
>code and sign in using username "I" and password "agree".
>
>Anyway, it's been awhile since I've compiled a complete file like this
>from somewhere else and I'm running up against a rather hard brick
>wall. I used the project wizard, creating a new MPASM project and
>targeting the correct processor. I add my .asm file, try to
>assemble...and get "DOS Error: File not found". Behind that popup
>looks to be the MPASM window stuck on "Building symbol table...".
>
>That's the only error I get, not super helpful. So...does anyone have
>any ideas as to why I can't get this simple file to work?
>
>Frustrating!
>
>Josh

Builds fine for me (12F675) using MPLAB 8.02. Path issue?


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Debug build of project `M:\josh\josh.mcp' started.
Preprocessor symbol `__DEBUG' is defined.
Sun Apr 13 21:28:34 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.
Clean: Done.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPASMWIN.exe" /q
/p12F675 "josh.asm" /l"josh.lst" /e"josh.err" /d__DEBUG=1
Loaded M:\josh\josh.cod.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Debug build of project `M:\josh\josh.mcp' succeeded.
Preprocessor symbol `__DEBUG' is defined.
Sun Apr 13 21:28:34 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BUILD SUCCEEDED



>Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
spam_OUTspeffTakeThisOuTspaminterlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com



2008\04\14@011626 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Spehro Pefhany <.....speffKILLspamspam@spam@interlog.com> wrote:
>  Builds fine for me (12F675) using MPLAB 8.02. Path issue?

Aha! It was a filename issue...you saved it as josh.asm, but the
original name was vwcdpic-2.7d.asm. I guess MPASM doesn't like
multiple periods in a filename.

Thanks!

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
-Douglas Adams

2008\04\14@015958 by Rikard Bosnjakovic

picon face
On 14/04/2008, Josh Koffman <joshybearspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:

> Aha! It was a filename issue...you saved it as josh.asm, but the
>  original name was vwcdpic-2.7d.asm. I guess MPASM doesn't like
>  multiple periods in a filename.

Interesting.

And since MPLAB first release was due long after Win95 was introduced,
I can't really see why they are using old and dead DOS file-routines
for it. I thought these silly limitations were gone long time ago, but
obviously some people/companies still stick to them by using weird
compilers.

The C-compiler I'm using in MPLAB works fine with multiple periods.


--
- Rikard - http://bos.hack.org/cv/

2008\04\14@021645 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Rikard Bosnjakovic
<.....rikard.bosnjakovicKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
>  And since MPLAB first release was due long after Win95 was introduced,
>  I can't really see why they are using old and dead DOS file-routines
>  for it. I thought these silly limitations were gone long time ago, but
>  obviously some people/companies still stick to them by using weird
>  compilers.


Well I shouldn't be too surprised...MPLAB still has that path name
length restriction (or it still does in my current 7.x versions).

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
-Douglas Adams

2008\04\14@043437 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Josh Koffman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Rikard Bosnjakovic
> <EraseMErikard.bosnjakovicspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
>>  And since MPLAB first release was due long after Win95 was introduced,
>>  I can't really see why they are using old and dead DOS file-routines
>>  for it. I thought these silly limitations were gone long time ago, but
>>  obviously some people/companies still stick to them by using weird
>>  compilers.
>
>
> Well I shouldn't be too surprised...MPLAB still has that path name
> length restriction (or it still does in my current 7.x versions).

*ONLY* if you're still building old absolute-mode code.
I thought all/most was using relocatable-mode code today...

(And I guess that is the case with the multiple-dots limitation
also, but I'm not 100% sure about that...)

Jan-Erik.


>
> Josh

2008\04\14@053809 by Rikard Bosnjakovic

picon face
On 14/04/2008, Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholmspamspam_OUTtelia.com> wrote:

>  > Well I shouldn't be too surprised...MPLAB still has that path name
>  > length restriction (or it still does in my current 7.x versions).
>
> *ONLY* if you're still building old absolute-mode code.

That doesn't make sense.

MPASM's inability for multiple periods in filename really hasn't got
to do anything regarding absolute or relocatable mode.


--
- Rikard - http://bos.hack.org/cv/

2008\04\14@061232 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Note that I replied about the "long path issue"...

It would not surprice me if the "mutliple-dots"
is related to the same base cause. But maybe
it isn't...

Jan-Erik.

Rikard Bosnjakovic wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2008\04\14@133752 by John Coppens
flavicon
face
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:12:30 +0200
Jan-Erik Soderholm <KILLspamjan-erik.soderholmKILLspamspamtelia.com> wrote:

> It would not surprice me if the "mutliple-dots"
> is related to the same base cause. But maybe
> it isn't...

Note that even Windows gets worked up on multiple dots at some point. I
had W trying to rename .tar.gz files to other variants with all the
resulting problems (hidden 'cause windows hides the extensions by
default). So the problem may not be entirely Microchip's.

John

2008\04\14@141333 by Rikard Bosnjakovic

picon face
On 14/04/2008, John Coppens <RemoveMEjohnTakeThisOuTspamjcoppens.com> wrote:

> Note that even Windows gets worked up on multiple dots at some point. I
>  had W trying to rename .tar.gz files to other variants with all the
>  resulting problems (hidden 'cause windows hides the extensions by
>  default). So the problem may not be entirely Microchip's.

With hidden extensions, anything bad can happen. That's why you unhide
the extensions.

For the sake of testing, renaming an image "foo.png" too
"foo.bar...doodledoo.png" resulted in zero problems here.


--
- Rikard - http://bos.hack.org/cv/

2008\04\14@162406 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Rikard Bosnjakovic wrote:
> On 14/04/2008, John Coppens <spamBeGonejohnspamBeGonespamjcoppens.com> wrote:
>
>> Note that even Windows gets worked up on multiple dots at some point. I
>>  had W trying to rename .tar.gz files to other variants with all the
>>  resulting problems (hidden 'cause windows hides the extensions by
>>  default). So the problem may not be entirely Microchip's.
>
> With hidden extensions, anything bad can happen. That's why you unhide
> the extensions.
>
> For the sake of testing, renaming an image "foo.png" too
> "foo.bar...doodledoo.png" resulted in zero problems here.

Doesn't prove anything.
The particular part of the MPLAB toolset that
is used when building absolute mode code might
still have that problem (just as the max
path lenght problem).

Jan-Erik.

2008\04\14@164732 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
Quoting Jan-Erik Soderholm <TakeThisOuTjan-erik.soderholmEraseMEspamspam_OUTtelia.com>:

{Quote hidden}

I've also had problems with spaces in file names with compilers not
being able to find things they need.

So, I use the old batch file command "subst" to force the desired
directory into a short (usually 8.3) directory ("folder") and file name mold,
with no spaces, and the problems go away.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the reward"
s...EraseMEspam.....interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...