Searching \ for '[PIC] PIC24H CAN: the amazing disappearing CANCKS' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: massmind.org/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'PIC24H CAN: the amazing disappearing CANCKS'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] PIC24H CAN: the amazing disappearing CANCKS '
2009\05\29@164030 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
part 1 291 bytes content-type:text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; (decoded 7bit)

This news came as a shock: without providing any explanation, Microchip
demoted the CANCKS bit to "Reserved: do not use".

I'm going to call our FAE and ask him if he knows anything about this. Maybe
someone here has an explanation?

Vitaliy


part 2 25723 bytes content-type:application/pdf; (decode)

part 3 35 bytes content-type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
(decoded 7bit)

2009\05\29@201256 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Vitaliy <spam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTspammaksimov.org> wrote:
> This news came as a shock: without providing any explanation, Microchip
> demoted the CANCKS bit to "Reserved: do not use".
>
> I'm going to call our FAE and ask him if he knows anything about this. Maybe
> someone here has an explanation?

Which PIC24H are you using? Just check one of them PIC24HJ64GP506
and it does not have CANCKS bit defined in CiCTRL1.
www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en024682
The erratas do not mention this either. Maybe the family manual was wrong.

Ok here is the reference:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=421868

"CANCKS bit functionality is not implemented on dsPIC33F/PIC24H devices.
It is essentially a "don't care" bit and should not be used for bit timing.

We are in the process of changing the documentation accordingly.

Sorry about the confusion. "

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

2009\05\29@214256 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> This news came as a shock: without providing any explanation, Microchip
>> demoted the CANCKS bit to "Reserved: do not use".
>>
>> I'm going to call our FAE and ask him if he knows anything about this.
>> Maybe
>> someone here has an explanation?
>
> Which PIC24H are you using? Just check one of them PIC24HJ64GP506
> and it does not have CANCKS bit defined in CiCTRL1.
> www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en024682
> The erratas do not mention this either. Maybe the family manual was wrong.

No, it was there in the old DS. This is from Rev C notes:

"Section 19.0 "Enhanced CAN
(ECANT) Module"
Changed bit 11 in the ECAN Control Register 1 (CiCTRL1) to Reserved
(see Register 19-1)."

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70293C.pdf


{Quote hidden}

Thanks, Xiaofan! I guess next time I should have enough sense to Google it
myself. :)

Fcan = Fcy makes sense in this context. I'm still curious to see what our
FAE comes back with.

Best regards,

Vitaliy



2009\05\29@215030 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Vitaliy <.....spamKILLspamspam@spam@maksimov.org> wrote:

>> Ok here is the reference:
>> www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=421868
>>
>> "CANCKS bit functionality is not implemented on dsPIC33F/PIC24H devices.
>> It is essentially a "don't care" bit and should not be used for bit
>> timing.
>>
>> We are in the process of changing the documentation accordingly.
>>
>> Sorry about the confusion. "
>
> Thanks, Xiaofan! I guess next time I should have enough sense to Google it
> myself. :)

Yes I found it through Google. Microchip forum is often the best
resources for this type of things.

Google "CANCKS PIC24 site:http://www.microchip.com/forums" and
you will get that reference in the first hit.

> Fcan = Fcy makes sense in this context. I'm still curious to see what our
> FAE comes back with.
>


--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2009 , 2010 only
- Today
- New search...