Searching \ for '[TECH] Ultraedit problems' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: massmind.org/techref/index.htm?key=ultraedit+problems
Search entire site for: 'Ultraedit problems'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[TECH] Ultraedit problems'
2009\05\26@043545 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
This is a follow-up to an earlier editor thread.

I downloaded and installed Ultraedit, it looks like a nice editor, but after
spending a good hour on it, I cannot get syntax highlighting and function
list to work. I traced the problem to the installer: it did not install the
"wordfile" directory in "Documents and Settings", and wordfile.txt is
nowhere on my hard drive (I did a full search).

I was able to get highlighting to work by downloading C wordfile from the
"extras" section of Ultraedit website, but the function list feature still
does not work, and I suspect that's because I don't have the wordfile.txt
file.

Any ideas?

Vitaliy

2009\05\26@045517 by Giant Panda

flavicon
face
Closed your firewall and virus tools before you install the software and try
install it again.If it can not solve this problem, try another setup
package.

Good luck.

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Vitaliy <spam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTspammaksimov.org> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2009\05\26@054442 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
I am not sure if that helps but I have an old UltraEdit and have no wordfile
directory. There is a wordfile.txt instead in the very same directory where
the uedit32.exe is. That file contains all syntax highlight information
currently I have (C, Perl, Visual Basic for example) and all syntax
definition seems to be starting with "/L<n>" sequence where <n> is a
sequence number -- in case you want to list it out what do you have... But
it might be changed with the newer version of UltraEdit.

Tamas
PS: Function listing works well for me with this file



On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Vitaliy <.....spamKILLspamspam@spam@maksimov.org> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2009\05\26@060406 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Giant Panda wrote:
> Closed your firewall and virus tools before you install the software and
> try
> install it again.If it can not solve this problem, try another setup
> package.

Tried both, to no avail. Even tried deleting everything, and installing the
Spanish version.

Vitaliy

2009\05\26@060735 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Tamas Rudnai wrote:
>I am not sure if that helps but I have an old UltraEdit and have no
>wordfile
> directory. There is a wordfile.txt instead in the very same directory
> where
> the uedit32.exe is.

I did a search on "wordfile" on my entire hard drive. Wordfile.txt is
nowhere to be found. :((((


> That file contains all syntax highlight information
> currently I have (C, Perl, Visual Basic for example) and all syntax
> definition seems to be starting with "/L<n>" sequence where <n> is a
> sequence number -- in case you want to list it out what do you have... But
> it might be changed with the newer version of UltraEdit.

I wonder if anyone has the file for v15, that they could email me?


> Tamas
> PS: Function listing works well for me with this file

Man, I would love to try this feature.

Vitaliy

2009\05\26@074340 by Geo

picon face
Apologies if this appears twice...


Vitaliy wrote:

> I traced the problem to the installer: it did not install the
> "wordfile" directory in "Documents and Settings", and wordfile.txt is
> nowhere on my hard drive (I did a full search).

This wiki page says that the file is not in docs&settings:-
www.svgmap.com/index.php?title=UltraEdit_Wordfile
"1. Open the UltraEdit WORDFILE, usually located in your x:\Program
Files\UltraEdit directory."

This agrees with the location of my file (but they may have changed the
location since mine is a 2007 install).

Anyway you are welcome to have mine (175k 2007) - for a couple of days at:-
http://www.diy.110mb.com/wordfile.txt
or zipped (60k)
http://www.diy.110mb.com/wordfile.zip

Geo

2009\05\26@093432 by Bob Ammerman

picon face
> Vitaliy wrote:
>
>> I traced the problem to the installer: it did not install the
>> "wordfile" directory in "Documents and Settings", and wordfile.txt is
>> nowhere on my hard drive (I did a full search).
>
> This wiki page says that the file is not in docs&settings:-
> www.svgmap.com/index.php?title=UltraEdit_Wordfile
> "1. Open the UltraEdit WORDFILE, usually located in your x:\Program
> Files\UltraEdit directory."
>
> This agrees with the location of my file (but they may have changed the
> location since mine is a 2007 install).
> Geo

This may be to make the program compatible with Windows Vista. Under Vista
you do not have write access to C:\Program Files unless you are 'elevated'.
Thus, user-editable configuration files can't be placed under C:\Program
Files, but rather go into "Documents and Settings".

-- Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

2009\05\26@200829 by Jim Korman

flavicon
face
Vitaliy wrote:
> This is a follow-up to an earlier editor thread.
>
> I downloaded and installed Ultraedit, it looks like a nice editor, but after
> spending a good hour on it, I cannot get syntax highlighting and function
> list to work. I traced the problem to the installer: it did not install the
> "wordfile" directory in "Documents and Settings", and wordfile.txt is
> nowhere on my hard drive (I did a full search).
>
> I was able to get highlighting to work by downloading C wordfile from the
> "extras" section of Ultraedit website, but the function list feature still
> does not work, and I suspect that's because I don't have the wordfile.txt
> file.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Vitaliy
>
>  
Had to wait until I got home so I could check my machine. I'm running
Ultraedit
on Vista Home Premium with no problems. The wordfile is located at

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\WORDFILE.UEW

Even though the file extension is "UEW", it is still just a text file
and you can set it up
as in the past.

Jim

2009\05\27@033043 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Geo wrote:
> Apologies if this appears twice...

I saw it only once, but in the wrong thread. :)

> This wiki page says that the file is not in docs&settings:-
> www.svgmap.com/index.php?title=UltraEdit_Wordfile
> "1. Open the UltraEdit WORDFILE, usually located in your x:\Program
> Files\UltraEdit directory."
>
> This agrees with the location of my file (but they may have changed the
> location since mine is a 2007 install).

I had nothing in that directory.


> Anyway you are welcome to have mine (175k 2007) - for a couple of days
> at:-
> http://www.diy.110mb.com/wordfile.txt
> or zipped (60k)
> http://www.diy.110mb.com/wordfile.zip

Thanks, I downloaded the file, put it in the Program Files directory, and
pointed Ultraedit to it. Still no function list. :((((

Vitaliy

2009\05\27@040209 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>Thanks, I downloaded the file, put it in the Program Files directory,
>and pointed Ultraedit to it. Still no function list. :((((

IIRC you do also have to set up the file extensions that UE knows about.
Look under Advanced/Configuration/File Extensions. It should have a heap of
extensions there already, but if the one you want isn't, then it may not
associate the file with the wordfile.

I do find it strange that you are having this trouble, as mine ran 'out of
the box' when I installed it on Vista.

2009\05\27@041114 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Alan B. Pearce wrote:
> >Thanks, I downloaded the file, put it in the Program Files directory,
>>and pointed Ultraedit to it. Still no function list. :((((
>
> IIRC you do also have to set up the file extensions that UE knows about.
> Look under Advanced/Configuration/File Extensions. It should have a heap
> of
> extensions there already, but if the one you want isn't, then it may not
> associate the file with the wordfile.

Yes, I set that from the very beginning.


> I do find it strange that you are having this trouble, as mine ran 'out of
> the box' when I installed it on Vista.

Did you have a previous version installed on the same machine?

Where is your wordfile.txt located?

Vitaliy

2009\05\27@043215 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>Did you have a previous version installed on the same machine?

No, this was a fresh install of Vista workstation (whatever the current
marketing name is) from when IT support changed my machine.

>Where is your wordfile.txt located?

C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\WORDFILE.TXT -
but then my UE is 13.20a, I haven't upgraded to 14 or 15 ... That is where
the install put it, and I haven't done anything to change it.

2009\05\28@043923 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Alan B. Pearce
<Alan.B.PearcespamKILLspamstfc.ac.uk> wrote:
>>Where is your wordfile.txt located?
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\WORDFILE.TXT -
> but then my UE is 13.20a, I haven't upgraded to 14 or 15 ... That is where
> the install put it, and I haven't done anything to change it.
>

I just installed the trial version under XP. Apparently they have changed a bit
in Version 15 compared to your V13.2a. I have not used any version after
V7/V9. Anyway, I have no problem to get syntax highlighting work after
reading the help file.

>From help:
The Syntax Highlighting branch under Configuration - Editor Display
allows the user to configure syntax highlighting options

Now the word file is a directory.
C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles
(I can guess for Vista this may be different, maybe similar to
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles).

So you go to Advanced -- Configuration -- Editor Display
-- Syntax Highlighting and point Ultraedit to the correct directory.
and check "Enable Syntax Coloring" and you should be able
to do syntax highlighting. By default, there are 13 choices, including
C/C++ and C#.

By the way, I choose to use customized install and install everything.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

2009\05\28@044248 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Xiaofan Chen <.....xiaofancKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed the trial version under XP. Apparently they have changed a bit
> in Version 15 compared to your V13.2a. I have not used any version after
> V7/V9. Anyway, I have no problem to get syntax highlighting work after
> reading the help file.
>
> From help:
> The Syntax Highlighting branch under Configuration - Editor Display
> allows the user to configure syntax highlighting options
>
> Now the word file is a directory.
> C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles
> (I can guess for Vista this may be different, maybe similar to
> C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles).

C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles>dir
Directory of C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles

05/28/2009  04:21 PM    <DIR>          .
05/28/2009  04:21 PM    <DIR>          ..
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             1,912 csharp.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM            14,136 css.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             2,862 c_cplusplus.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             5,548 html.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,791 java.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,129 javascript.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             4,341 mysql.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             5,647 perl.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM            88,529 php.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             9,669 ruby.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             9,800 vbscript.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,428 visualbasic.uew
05/28/2009  04:40 PM            16,260 xml.uew
             13 File(s)        184,052 bytes

> So you go to Advanced -- Configuration -- Editor Display
>  -- Syntax Highlighting and point Ultraedit to the correct directory.
> and check "Enable Syntax Coloring" and you should be able
> to do syntax highlighting. By default, there are 13 choices, including
> C/C++ and C#.
>
> By the way, I choose to use customized install and install everything.
>


--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

2009\05\28@054815 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles>dir
> Directory of C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles
>
>05/28/2009  04:21 PM    <DIR>          .
>05/28/2009  04:21 PM    <DIR>          ..
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             1,912 csharp.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM            14,136 css.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             2,862 c_cplusplus.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             5,548 html.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,791 java.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,129 javascript.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             4,341 mysql.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             5,647 perl.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM            88,529 php.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             9,669 ruby.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             9,800 vbscript.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM             8,428 visualbasic.uew
>05/28/2009  04:40 PM            16,260 xml.uew
>              13 File(s)        184,052 bytes

That looks like they no longer use wordfile.txt, but instead have an
individual wordfile for each different format, with a *.uew extension.

This would make it a lot easier to add colour formatting options, as one
'just' needs to add the new file to this directory, instead of modifying the
wordfile.txt file.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2009 , 2010 only
- Today
- New search...