Searching \ for 'To Get Yer Own Messages' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: massmind.org/techref/index.htm?key=get+yer+own+messages
Search entire site for: 'To Get Yer Own Messages'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'To Get Yer Own Messages'
1999\07\14@135644 by Greg Wiley

picon face
This keeps coming up but the answer is always "look
at your original subscription message."  Actually, I
don't think that message gave the procedure.  Regard-
less, to have your own messages sent back to you,
send an email message to:

spam_OUTLISTSERVTakeThisOuTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU

The subject does not matter but in the *body* of
the message put, on a single line:

SET piclist REP

Then send it.  For a terse list of server commands
use the command (again, by itself on a line in the
body):

HELP

For a detailed list of server commands (which lists
the options for the SET command), use the server
command:

INFO REFCARD

Hope this helps,

 -greg

1999\07\14@140235 by Anne Ogborn

flavicon
face
Greg Wiley wrote:
>
> This keeps coming up but the answer is always "look
> at your original subscription message."  Actually, I
> don't think that message gave the procedure.  Regard-
> less, to have your own messages sent back to you,...


strange - I did not get the usual subcription message.



--
Anniepoo
Need loco motors?
http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/motors.html

1999\07\15@043354 by peterc

flavicon
face
Greg Wiley wrote:
>
> This keeps coming up but the answer is always "look
> at your original subscription message."  Actually, I
> don't think that message gave the procedure.  Regard-
> less, to have your own messages sent back to you,
> send an email message to:
>
> .....LISTSERVKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
>
> The subject does not matter but in the *body* of
> the message put, on a single line:
>
> SET piclist REP

1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
text with no headings or formatting.

2. I've tried to set my "account" to send me my messages. I've got the
list server to send me a copy of my settings, which indicate that I
should receive my messages. But... I don't receive my messages.

I've only posted a couple of times as I've only recently subscribed, but
I know that my last message went out as I tried sending it again and got
a reply from the server to say that the message had been sent out
already (that's clever - it prevents the same message being sent out a
second time).


Does anyone else (who has the option set) receive their own messages? (I
beleive that by default own messages are not sent).
--
Peter Crighton

1999\07\15@043809 by Tim Hamel

picon face
In a message dated 7/15/99 1:34:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
petercspamKILLspamHMGCC.GOV.UK writes:

> 1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
>  text with no headings or formatting.

I second that motion! Is this something I could do (Mark?) to make a
contribution to the list? It would be MUCH easier to scan through it and find
the needed commands.

Tim H.

1999\07\15@233357 by Mark Willis

flavicon
face
Peter C. wrote:
> Greg Wiley wrote:
> >
> > This keeps coming up but the answer is always "look
> > at your original subscription message."  Actually, I
> > don't think that message gave the procedure.  Regard-
> > less, to have your own messages sent back to you,
> > send an email message to:
> >
> > .....LISTSERVKILLspamspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> >
> > The subject does not matter but in the *body* of
> > the message put, on a single line:
> >
> > SET piclist REP
>
> 1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
> text with no headings or formatting.

 That can be fixed.  I'll take a look this weekend.

> 2. I've tried to set my "account" to send me my messages. I've got the
> list server to send me a copy of my settings, which indicate that I
> should receive my messages. But... I don't receive my messages.

 Peter, let me double check here - you're getting OTHER messages from
the PICList, like this one - and you have set Repro ON, on the PICList,
right?  Hmmm.

{Quote hidden}

 I definitely get my own messages.

Tim Hamel wrote:
> I second that motion! Is this something I could do (Mark?) to make a
> contribution to the list? It would be MUCH easier to scan through it and find
> the needed commands.
>
> Tim H.

 I should go subscribe & unsub from a secondary account & take a look,
then get Jory to review suggested changes.  I'll get into that this
weekend (Need to worry about job search tomorrow, as the phones here
were down much of today - "Backhoe Fade" from this morning, fortunately
the telco people showed up before I was through temporarily splicing the
wires, not on Sunday as we'd been told they'd do.)  It's NOT good to get
me into 'net withdrawal...

 If someone else wants to suggest revisions, that's great (I think I'll
start FTP'ing things up to my home page directory, easy to do) - I'll
ask Jory about revisions.

 Mark

1999\07\16@092913 by paulb

flavicon
face
peterc wrote:

> 1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
> text with no headings or formatting.

 True enough as I recall.

> But... I don't receive my messages.

 Puzzling, if you have set REPRO

> I know that my last message went out as I tried sending it again and
> got a reply from the server to say that the message had been sent out
> already (that's clever - it prevents the same message being sent out a
> second time).

 It appears you're smarter than many who manage to (without *actually*
looking at it) read that message as an invitation to alter their un-
answered message and subject the list to it once(, twice, ... ) more.

Mark Willis wrote:

>> 1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
>> text with no headings or formatting.

>   That can be fixed.  I'll take a look this weekend.

 That's news to me.  I have understood that message to be generic to
the listserver, like the badly misleading "dupe" warning just mentioned.
I was told before that as we used the server under great un-deserved
privilege, it was far too immodest to request the warning messages to
be fixed.

Tim Hamel wrote:

> I second that motion! Is this something I could do (Mark?) to make a
> contribution to the list?  It would be MUCH easier to scan through it
> and find the needed commands.

 Should the messages *be* fixable, I can readily suggest a rephrase of
the "dupe" message which should stop all the re-sends.
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.

1999\07\17@004128 by Mark Willis

flavicon
face
Paul B. Webster VK2BZC wrote:
> <snipped>
> Mark Willis wrote:
>
> >> 1. The subscription message is not very readable - lots of blocks of
> >> text with no headings or formatting.
>
> >   That can be fixed.  I'll take a look this weekend.
>
>   That's news to me.  I have understood that message to be generic to
> the listserver, like the badly misleading "dupe" warning just mentioned.
> I was told before that as we used the server under great un-deserved
> privilege, it was far too immodest to request the warning messages to
> be fixed.

 I'll check - I thought I read in all the scads of pages of Docs I've
read, that the "Welcome!" message etc. can be revised as the list owner
sees fit.  I'll have to re-read all that (ack!) and see if I'm
remembering accurately, if so then we can see what we can see about
revision of that message.  I think Jory'd want me to run the rev's past
him, and for me to do all the work <EG>

 [Don't need a second copy of these messages, BTW, I'd as soon snag
everything off the list & not end up trying to figure out which copy's
which <G>]

 Mark

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...